A root canal treatment is used to preserve your tooth. However, sometimes the damage is too severe, or the enamel is too weak to support the procedure. These circumstances can result in tooth loss. Another prospect is that an abscess will form at the tooth’s base if any infectious material persists or the antibiotics are ineffective. If you are worried about having root canals East Village procedures, talk to your dentist about having your tooth extracted instead. This frequently entails replacing the broken tooth with a partial denture, bridge, or implant.
Benefits of undergoing a root canal procedure
There are several benefits to undergoing a root canal operation. This therapy can:
- Prevent the spread of illness to other teeth.
- Relieve the indications of an infected tooth.
- Reduce the possibility of jawbone injury.
- Get rid of the requirement for teeth extractions.
Preparing for a root canal treatment
Your healthcare professional can address any questions you have regarding the treatment before commencing your root canal. You may prepare for your root canal therapy by doing the following:
- Take all medications as directed: If you have a lot of infection, you may be given antibiotics or anti-inflammatory meds a few days before your visit.
- Don’t smoke: Tobacco substances impair your body’s capacity to recover. Avoid smoking for several days before your root canal appointment, and if possible, stop altogether.
- Eat a nutritious meal before your visit: Because the local anesthesia used during a root canal operation will numb your mouth for a few hours, it is a great idea to eat something before your visit.
Follow-up after your root canal operation
When the numbing drug wears off, your teeth and gums may become irritated. Your gums may swell as well. Most dentists will prescribe over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) to alleviate these signs. Contact your clinician if the discomfort gets severe or lasts longer than a few days. The day after the operation, you should be able to resume your usual routine. Avoid biting on the injured tooth until it has been adequately filled or a crown has been set on top. You will see your dentist within a few days of the root canal. They will do X-rays to confirm that every infection has been eradicated. Also, they will replace the temporary filling with a permanent filling.
Additionally, the dentist may install a permanent crown on the tooth if you choose. Crowns are fake teeth made of porcelain or gold. A crown’s advantage is its natural look. It might take many weeks for you to adjust to how your tooth feels following the surgery. This is usual and should not be a cause for concern.
It is terrifying to experience tooth pain or a bulge in your jaw. Fortunately, root canal therapy can address infection at its source, letting you feel well sooner. If you think you have an infected or abscessed tooth, contact your doctor immediately. Prompt treatment can prevent infection from spreading and ease discomfort, allowing you to resume your usual life. Call East Village Dental Center to schedule your appointment today to learn more about root canal therapy.