A breast lift, which is also referred to as mastopexy, is a surgical procedure intended to change the physical appearance of the breasts. Breast lifts are done to reduce the sagging of the breasts. During the process, the excess skin is removed. The tissues in the breast are also reshaped. A breast lift in East Windsor is often done with breast augmentation procedures to attain the desired appearance.
Reasons for Having a Breast Lift Done
An increase in age often brings about many changes in our bodies. In women, the breasts tend to lose their firmness and elasticity. Some of the leading causes of breast changes include:
- Weight changes – The breast skin can lose elasticity due to weight changes.
- Gravity – Naturally, gravity can lead to stretching and sagging of breasts.
- Pregnancy – As the breasts increase in size during pregnancy, it can result in the ligaments supporting the breasts stretching. The stretching can cause sagging of the breasts.
A breast lift can help reduce the breasts’ sagging and raise the nipples. It may be time to consider a breast lift if:
- Your nipples point downwards.
- Your breasts are sagging.
- Your areolae are proportional to your breast size.
Things You Can Do To Prepare For a Breast Lift Procedure
It would be best if you had a talk about the procedure with your plastic surgeon. It will ensure the general success of your operation. The doctor will review your medical history and discuss any past and current medical conditions you may have. The doctor will also perform a physical examination of the breasts.
It will also help to discuss any expectations about the procedure with your doctor. It will also be best to ask questions to ensure you fully comprehend what the process entails. You may also have to:
- Avoid certain medications which can lead to increased bleeding.
- Obtain a mammogram to assist the doctor in planning for the procedure.
- Stop smoking as it can affect the healing process.
- Ensure you have a healthy weight
Risks Involved With the Procedure
Despite the general safety of the procedure, a breast lift still poses several risks. Some of the risks involved include:
- Scarring – the procedure can lead to the formation of scars. However, the spots generally fade with time and can be easily covered up using bras.
- Reduction in nipple sensitivity – While the erotic sensation is not affected, the nipples may lose some feelings due to the procedure.
- Asymmetry of the breast size and shape – During the healing process, irregularities may occur that may result in a difference in the shape and size of the breasts.
- Trouble breastfeeding – Due to the procedure, some women may have some form of difficulty in producing enough milk for their young ones.
Healing after the procedure is gradual and may take some time. It is essential to ensure lots of rest and avoid performing heavy tasks for about a month. If you notice unusual symptoms, consult your doctor as soon as possible. Do not try to rush back to normalcy but resume your activities gradually.
Breast lift procedures can improve the general appearance of sagging breasts. You must understand the process well to have realistic expectations.